Let’s begin by answering that question. Do men really experience menopause? Yes! Confused? Don’t be! Menopause is no longer a term associated with females only. Men are susceptible to this condition as much as women are, albeit in a slightly different way. Male menopause occurs when men start experiencing a plethora of unwanted physical and emotional changes in their life, usually around age 50. These changes are the result of hormonal imbalance, namely a decline in the amount of testosterone.
As a man grows old, testosterone production gradually and slowly begins to taper off. No it never stops completely, unlike women, which signals the end of her menstrual cycle and renders her infertile. In men, the level of testosterone begin to decline at the rate of about 1% every year, beginning age 40. Testosterone is an incredibly important hormone, and therefore when it decreases in amount, the body reacts to it in an undesirable way, such as:
- Loss of sexual desire
- Inability to achieve erection
- Fat redistribution around the abdomen
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Unexplained fatigue
- Loss of muscle bulk
- Brittle bones
- Dry, flaky skin
- Sleep disturbance
- Irritability and mood swings
- Foggy memory
- Loss of motivation and enthusiasm
Men who experience these signs can feel frustrated and depressed. In fact, more often than not, they don’t realize that falling levels of testosterone are causing these symptoms.They simply attribute it to aging, or worse still, think it’s depression that’s causing these signs and may even get the wrong treatment. These signs can interfere with daily life and even cause rifts in a relationship. What’s important is that men team up with their doctors to find the underlying cause and get help to manage it the right way. Here are some ways you can overcome the bothersome symptoms of male menopause:
- Eat sensibly. Your diet should consist of healthy fats, protein, fiber, and lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Read up on men’s health supplement reviews. Some, like Ageless Male, are specially designed to improve testosterone production and enhance strength, libido, and body composition. Just don’t get sidetracked by Ageless Male scam reviews – it’s just a hype. The supplement contains powerful and genuine ingredients in the right proportions to boost vigor and vitality.
- Nothing gets the body pumping testosterone like a vigorous workout. Weightlifting, strength training, and high intensity interval training beef up muscles and testosterone levels. If that’s not for you, go for swimming or running. Get moving. It also helps reduce stress and cheers you up by triggering a rush of endorphins, also known as “feel-good” hormones. A sedentary lifestyle only accelerates hormonal fluctuations and makes matters worse.
So yes, male menopause does exist. It’s just not discussed as widely as female menopause. But men must realize they may experience it sooner or later once they have crossed 40, if they don’t keep up with a healthy and smart approach toward life.